What is Root Canal Treatment?
Root Canal Treatment procedure is started by drilling the enamel part of the tooth, that is topmost portion of the tooth. First the Dentist enters the pulp chamber, where the infected pulp is present. The next step is exploration of root canal, removal of the remaining pulp tissue and infected tissue. The infected pulp is then drilled out with the help of long needle shaped drills .
After successful removal of the pulp, the root canal is disinfected with the help of intracanal medicaments like essential oils (eugenol), phenolic compounds, Sodium Hypochlorite and iodides. The disinfection procedure is done by using a plastic pipette or a syringe.
Finally filling (obturation) of root canal is done with an inert filling material called gutta percha. The main disadvantage of gutta percha is its inability to bind with the root canal. Therefore root canal cements are used to bind the root canal and gutta percha. They provide an excellent seal, when set, in between root canal and gutta percha. The most commonly used root canal cements are Zinc oxide Resin Cements and Calcium Hydroxide Cement.
ADVANTAGES OF USING ROTARY INSTRUMENTS OVER HAND INSTRUMENTS:
If you’ve ever undergone a root canal to save an infected tooth, your dentist probably didn’t mention the type of tools he was using to perform the procedure. You may not think it matters as long as the treatment is effective; however, if your root canal was performed using the traditional manual method, you may have noticed that it was a bit nerve-racking. Here at Akshay Dental care, we use rotary endodontic technology to make the experience smoother and more comfortable for our patients.
Rotary endodontics employs electrically-powered instruments to perform the root canal treatment rather than traditional stainless-steel manual files. The electric hand tool is equipped with a tip constructed out of nickel titanium – a material that is five times more flexible than stainless steel.
Due to the flexibility and unique movement of the nickel-titanium instrument, it can be inserted deeply into a curved root canal without stretching or damaging the passageway. This makes for a quick and reliable procedure.
Advantages of Rotary Endodontics
- The nickel titanium cleans out the root canal much more smoothly and consistently.
- Rotary endodontic procedures are more reliable with less chance of complications.
- Rotary tools make the root canal procedure much faster.
- The electric tools are much quieter and smoother, without the loud grinding that accompanies manual files.
- The fast treatment time, in conjunction with quieter instruments, make for a much more comfortable and less frightening experience for patients.
- Although using a manual file will still clean out the root canals thoroughly, most dentists and patients prefer rotary endodontics. In fact, it was largely the loud grinding of manual files that gave root canal therapy the reputation of being a “scary” or “undesirable” procedure. With rotary endodontics, patients feel much more comfortable during the treatment and barely notice the whirring of the tools.
DENTAL LASER IN ROOT CANAL THERAPY:
- AT AKSHAY DENTAL CARE,WE EMPLOY DENTAL LASER TO STERILIZE THE CANAL AFTER COMPLETE CLEAN UP OF THE CANAL HAS BEEN DONE,THIS MAKES THE TREATMENT MOST EFFICIENT.
- THE hybrid technique OF using laser therapy ALONG WITH ROTARY ENDONDONTICS offers successful POST OPERATIVE SUCCESS AND IMPROVES LONGEVITY OF THE TREATMENT.